These sweet and buttery pecan pie bites are the perfect way to enjoy the delicious glory of pecan pie, in a handheld and convenient way. On top of this, This is a no-bake recipe that only requires the use of a blender and a muffin tin. It also happens to be vegetarian, gluten-free, and refined sugar free! So you can enjoy all the goodness of pecan pie, without any of the hassle. Say it with me, “Yes, pecan!”
- Dietary Features: gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and vegetarian friendly.
- A convenient and healthy way to enjoy your favorite treat!
- Chewy and soft texture with a caramel and candied taste.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
In honor of MLK Jr Day, I had to create a recipe inspired by his favorite dessert, pecan pie! MLK Jr set the foundation for the civil rights movement to thrive. It’s because of people like him that real change occurs and the fight for equity continues.
So, in this special recipe you can find dates, maple syrup, tons of yummy spices like cinnamon, and of course pecans! Pecans are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids and protein. Top these pecan pie bites with some dairy or non-dairy whip cream, and you are good to go!
Members in my Elizabeth G The RD Community asked me to create a healthy treat to enjoy on MLK Jr Day. Voila, the healthy pecan pie bite was born!
In this post you’ll find the pecan pie bite recipe, nutrition education on each ingredient, and fully answered FAQ’s! Pecan and we will enjoy this recipe! Ok, enough puns.
Pecans: Pecans contain wonderful protein, omega 3 fat, and fiber to keep you full and feeling energized! They also contain vitamins and minerals that have anti-inflammatory properties such as magnesium, calcium, fiber, vitamin E, and zinc.
Dates: Dates are very high in fiber, antioxidants, and carbohydrates. They also provide this recipe with a caramel flavor, which lends really nicely to the overall flavor profile.
Maple Syrup: When it comes to sweeteners, Canada got it right (in my opinion). Not only is this ingredient essential for pancakes and waffles, it also can be used as a replacement for sugar in sweet recipes! If you don’t have any maple syrup on hand, however, you can replace this ingredient with honey or agave nectar. Fun fact: Maple syrup contains a unique polyphenol called quebecol which was actually named after Quebec.
Honey: Feel free to exclude this ingredient if you are following a vegan lifestyle and replace it with agave nectar instead! However, I feel like the honey in this recipe adds a nice touch and tones down the caramel tones throughout the treats.
Cinnamon & Vanilla Extract: These ingredients help to bring out the caramel and candied flavor of the pie bites.Sea Salt: I honestly think sea salt is the key secret ingredient in this recipe. You don’t need to use much, but adding sea salt helps highlight the best sweet and candied tones of the recipe so well!
The Step-by-Step Process
- Step 1 – Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Step 2 – Place 9-10 pitted dates in a bowl and pour with hot water, leave for ~10 minutes to soften.
- Step 3- Add 1 1/2 cups raw pecans, 3 pitted dates (60 grams), 1 tablespoon maple syrup or raw honey, and 1/8 teaspoon sea salt to a blender and blend until the texture is sand-like.
- Step 4– Press the mixture down into the greased muffin pan forming the crust.
- Step 5 – Add 3/4 cup dry pecans (finely chopped), 6 pitted dates, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 15 (almost 1 cup) tablespoons warm water, and 1 tablespoon of honey (or agave nectar) to the blender.
- Step 5– Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Step 6– Pour creamy filling into a muffin pan filled with the already made crusts.
- Step 7– Freeze for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Step 8– Enjoy!
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
Notes and Expert Tips
- Depending on if you’re using a blender, what type of blender you are using, and/or if you’re using a food processor, different textures and consistencies can result. I recommend adding in the liquid slowly and stopping with the desired texture forms.
Want A Discount Code?
Having trouble with bloating? Try Atrantil! Use “Wholiztic” at checkout for a discount!
Hungry? Try a wide variety of MunkPack products! Use code “ElizabethRD” at checkout for 20% off your purchase.
Looking to better your financial wellbeing?
Get a FREE stock valued anywhere from $3 and $225 at Robinhood!
Get 2 FREE stocks valued up to $1850 at WeBull!
Enhance your education!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for additional resources.